A nose job or rhinoplasty could be a life-changing experience for patients seeking nose modification for cosmetic and medical reasons. But what exactly is the procedure? At this moment, many questions may be brewing in your mind. Here, we will discuss things you should consider before opting for rhinoplasty.
What Is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty provides a patient with an option to reshape their nose to improve its appearance and function. In this procedure, a surgeon changes the bone, skin, cartilage, or all three as per the plan discussed with the patient during the consultation.
However, the result of rhinoplasty depends on many factors, like the patient’s facial symmetry, the surgeon’s experience and your recovery.
Therefore, it’s recommended to choose the best cosmetic nasal surgeon and consult every aspect of the procedure with them. They will discuss the steps involved in the procedure, what you can expect, and how to speed up the recovery period.
What Things to Consider Before Undergoing Rhinoplasty?
- Be Clear About Your Motivation: It’s very important to have positive motivation and realistic expectations from the procedure. Even your surgeon will ask you about your motivation. If you are considering the procedure only for yourself, not because of society or your friends, you can proceed.
- Understand the Complete Procedure: Before booking a consultation with the surgeon, it’s best to know the complete procedure, aftercare, recovery period, complications, and cost. It’s possible that after reading some online articles, you may have some questions, which you can ask your surgeon. Now, you can make an informed decision.
- Know Whether You Are a Good Candidate: This is one of the key points you should consider. You should know whether you are a good candidate for the procedure. You can opt for the procedure if you:
- Don’t have any medical history that can affect rhinoplasty result
- Can quit smoking for surgery
- Have reached complete facial maturity
- Have realistic expectations
- Cost of Rhinoplasty: The average cost of a primary (first) rhinoplasty in the UK is between £7,000 and £10,000. You can also consult with different surgeons to get an overall estimate to prepare your budget in advance. Furthermore, you can ask your surgeon whether they provide any financial assistance.
- Aftercare: After rhinoplasty, your surgeon will suggest some dos and don’ts like:
- Raise your head higher than your chest when sleeping to reduce bleeding and swelling.
- Maintain a balanced diet for faster healing.
- Wear SPF 30 sunscreen, especially when going outside in sun exposure, once your surgeon takes off the dressing and splints.
- Brush gently to avoid putting pressure on the procedure site.
- Wear loose clothes that fasten in the front.
- Follow your surgeon advice
- Refrain from wearing sunglasses or glasses for a few weeks. Instead, use contact lenses.
- Avoid strenuous exercises for a couple of weeks. You can resume all your activities afterwards gradually.
- Avoid swimming and touching your procedure site for a few weeks.
- Recovery Period: A rhinoplasty usually takes six to eight weeks to recover. And it may take over six to twelve months to see the full effectiveness of the procedure. If you are unhappy with the final results, you may be suitable for a revision rhinoplasty. Nevertheless, choosing a trusted and experienced surgeon can increase the chances of a successful procedure.
Rhinoplasty is a great way to modify the proportions of the nose to make it more appealing or correct any functional issues. The surgery is considered relatively a low-risk procedure and is usually complete in one to four hours.
Before opting for the procedure, it’s a must to ask whatever questions you have to be sure you are making the right decision. Check whether your surgeons answers inspire trust. This is crucial to determine the expertise of the surgeon.
As rhinoplasty is a highly individualised procedure, it’s important to have positive motivation and realistic expectations from the procedure.
Above, we have discussed the rhinoplasty procedure and various things associated with it. Understanding the whole procedure not only helps you make an educated decision but also reduces your nervousness.
Choosing a highly reputable surgeon for your rhinoplasty is also a must. This will ensure a smooth, safe and successful procedure.